Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Heading to California, But Ending Up in New York



What are you going to be when you grow up?




Good question,

A veternarian when I was little; that was until I saw my dog have puppies, and I lost my lunch.

A school teacher. I believe because of the good influences my teachers had in my life. Who wouldn't want to be the next Mrs. Beck, Mr. White, Ms. Hansen, Mrs. Brotherson and Mr. Black? Yet, somehow that didn't seem to pan out.

The world's next motivational speaker. Who doesn't want to change the world one speech at a time? I spent some time as a FFA State Officer and had the change to fulfill this dream to an extent, but it ended there.

A seminary instructor. I could teach hundreds of youth about the gospel--I opted to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Or, ALL OF THE ABOVE--Agricultural Communicator. A degree that encompasses communication, education and motivation with continuning diversity. That's what I want to be when I grow up.

On a given day as an agricultural communicator, I could be in the fields talking it up with a rancher or a veternarian and the next day headed to a professional development conference on Web development. I can teach fellow colleagues about the latest environmental policy or AP Style trend. Mostly I can motivate others to support local agriculture and rural development.


So you see, I always new I wanted to grow up to be something, and in a matter of fact my field of study lets me do everything; still, how I set out for California and ended up in New York, only the Heavens above know.

And yet, the sky is the limit and in Oklahoma the sky goes on for miles without end.

No comments: