Sunday, March 8, 2009

Food Triggered Memories


As I thought about what to make for lunch today, I had an overwhelming craving come over me to eat macaroni and cheese. Maybe its the fact that my roommates are all traveling for spring break and I am home alone. It seems as if the fattening yellow noodles ooze with comfort and memories.

Eating macaroni and cheese was something I used to do all the time while visiting my favorite Grandma Day. After mixing the masterpiece, she would sprinkle my mac and cheese with pepper to give it a little more spunk--just like her. During lunch we would chat about her and Grandpa Day's love story; or any story from her lifetime.

Macaroni and Cheese has also been the fly on the wall during many long friendship conversations. Over a bowl of mac and cheese I spilled my guts about my secret crushes and frustrations. Other days I have laughed so hard until my macaroni and cheese wanted to take flight across the room like a NASA rocket ship.

Macaroni and Cheese taught me that quality (Kraft) is worth a good investment, over cheap (Western Family) and a horrible supper. It also taught me as a sophomore in college you do not leave your roommate unattended to make homemade macaroni and cheese--for the burning smell can take weeks to wear off.

It is no wonder, I have overwhelming cravings for mac a cheese--its just my stomach telling my heart that I miss the people in whom I used to share it with. So whether they be in Spring City, Texas, New York, Brazil, Wisconsin or Heaven, they need not to worry, for I have my mac and cheese to remind me of them.

3 comments:

That Girl said...

Sniff, sniff.

I think I'll go make some mac n' cheese. (Kraft SPIRALS are the best ....)

I love you, Tamra.

A lot.

Jenny said...

Oh Tamra, you warm my heart! I was so happy to see that you mentioned a friend in Wisconsin and only slightly offended that you also mentioned my burning macaroni! :) I hope you enjoy your spring break, despite all the snow!

Tiffany J said...

I'm so glad I found your site today friend! So, added to my many memories of mac n' cheese, when my hubby and I were first married I didn't feel much like cooking so I asked him to just make some mac n' cheese cause I figured it's easy enough and the instructions are on the box right? :) He burned the macaroni at least an inch onto the bottom of the pan! boys...